What Helps With Tooth Pain? Follow These 12 Best Home Remedies
Tooth pain may be sharp, constant, or throbbing. In a few people, pain comes only when you apply pressure to the teeth. You can experience swelling around your teeth or in some cases severe headaches and fewer. So, if this is the situation with you and if you are searching for what helps with tooth pain, then this article on Answer My Queries will help you. We have provided several ways in which you can opt for relieving tooth pain. DIY methods such as using clove oil, ice packs, and turmeric help in most cases but only give temporary relief. Since your tooth pain may not be similar to your friend’s then rather than consulting your friend, it is better to schedule a meeting with an expert dentist. Please read the article till the end to know about the best working home remedies to cure tooth pain, when and why to see a dentist, and a lot more. Let’s begin:
Overview: What helps with tooth pain?
Lemon, saltwater, guava leaf, and wheatgrass can help in reducing tooth pain. However, apart from home remedies for what helps with tooth pain from Invisalign, maintaining good oral care also helps a lot. Follow brushing twice a day, do regular flossing and rinsing by using a mouthwash. Also, rinsing the mouth after eating also helps in maintaining good and painless teeth.
Why does the tooth hurt, know what professionals say about your tooth pain
A toothache can occur due to bacterial infection or when something like popcorn is struck in or around your teeth. Many tooth pains are caused by months and dental issues that cannot get any better by using home remedies and you have to seek professional dental help. According to Dr. Kulvant of EVE DENTAL CENTER CLINIC, a toothache is caused by decay of tooth, broken tooth, damaged filling, infected gums, repetitive motions, etc. So, if you experience any such sign, you must visit a professional dentist to relieve the tooth pain and discomfort.
Here is what you can do when toothache at night
If you are having severe tooth pain at night, doing the following 5 things will help:
- Have some pain killer medication
- It is advisable to keep the head elevated
- Do not eat cold, acidic or solid foodstuff before going to bed
- Use mouthwash and rinse your mouth twice or thrice
- Furthermore, you can use an ice pack before sleeping
What are the most effective and natural home remedies for tooth pain or toothache?
Tooth pain usually manifests as a shooting or sharp pain that is so serious and does not allow you to rest, sleep and eat comfortably. If you are finding what helps for tooth pain, then do check out how to ease bad tooth pain tips below:
- Ice Pack: It is one of the easiest ways to reduce toothache. Ice numbs the affected area and makes you comfortable when you keep ice near the tooth.
- Saltwater Gargle: Mix salt in a cup of warm water and swish the liquid in your mouth a few times. It acts as a natural disinfectant.
- Hydrogen peroxide: It kills bacteria and assists in reducing pain and swelling. This home remedy for toothache pain is best for bleeding gums. To prepare this, add 3/10 of hydrogen peroxide to 7/10 warm water and gargle.
- Cloves: These are among the oldest tooth pain home remedies for relief. Take a few drops of clove oil and rub in the affected area to relieve pain.
- Teabags: Take a wet and warm tea bag and hold it against the tooth for 2 to 3 minutes till the pain reduces. The menthol in tea bags can numb and cool the pain.
- Oils: Yes, oils such as thyme, tea-tree, peppermint helps in reducing numbness and pain. Antibiotic features in the oil keep the infections away. You can use cotton balls dipped in oil for applying.
- Asafetida: Asafetida with oil or lemon juice is also helpful in case of toothaches. Keep it for one hour until you feel better. You can refill the cotton ball every 20 minutes.
- Garlic: On crushing, garlic releases allicin which is a natural antibacterial product that can kill harmful bacteria and offer pain relief. You can even chew raw garlic and chew it.
- Fresh Ginger: Wash & peel fresh ginger & start chewing it around your affected section. And let the ginger ooze its juices. Let it be in your mouth for one hour & see the results.
- Vanilla Extract: It contains alcohol that helps kill bacteria and numb the affected area. Appling vanilla extract with cotton can give temporary relief.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a real healer. Form a paste using turmeric and water & apply it. You can even replace water with honey for better taste.
- Lemon: Vitamin C in lemon helps if you are thinking about what helps nerve pain in the tooth. Cut a slice, place it near the tooth and wait till the ache subsides.
When Should You Seek the Help of a Professional Dentist and Why?
If you are having uncontrollable toothache and you are wondering what medicine helps with tooth pain. Or if you are facing difficulty swallowing or chewing, it’s the right time to see a dentist. Moreover, if you are feeling pain or clicking in the jaw while closing or opening it, then also it is a clear sign to visit a dentist.
Now, read about why it is important to take help from a professional dentist before doing any DIY tips.
The dental consultation is where you can freely discuss the problems that you are facing, treatment options, and other concerns. In case you have anxieties about dental operations, it is the right time to clear your doubts with the dentist. And surely, the dentist will satisfy your issues by explaining clearly how safe the procedure is and assure you that it will not be as tough as you think.
- Discuss Tooth Treatment Options
Post visiting your dentist, you can now ask them the different treatment options that you can choose as per your needs and budget. Ask for the level of comfort a particular procedure gives, cosmetic wishes, and budget.
- Questions Relating To Procedure
Some of the treatments that your dentist provides may provide you with certain situations that can be a bit confusing for you. So, during the visit, he/she may employ the aid of models or samples to explain to you and give you a better idea of how it works.
- Checking the eligibility
As no two people are alike, the dentist will verify whether you are eligible for receiving the treatment he suggested, or the one you want. Moreover, he will ask you about your medical history as well as your present medication routine to figure out the best treatment option for you.
- Reviewing your dental care practices
The dentist will also ask you about the things you do to take care of your teeth. It is the right time to know how to do something that you are lacking right now, to make sure that post-treatment, you will be able to have proper dental hygiene.
Conclusion: What Helps With Tooth Pain?
Take benefit of your dentist’s knowledge and broaden your knowledge about oral care. And feel free in asking about the steps that you can perform for a better future for the mouth, gums, and teeth.